Sunday, April 6, 2014

Page 214

Assigned reading (1 par [] plus 171 notes) [secondary] [McH] [*]





"‘Irrawaddyng’ is from waddyng (= Watte, vata) with a common use in Ireland. Mainly of course Irrawaddy is a river in India. [In fact, Burma.] Stoke is a verb of intense movement. It is taken from a dictionary of railroadmen. A stoker is the man who feeds the fire; contained in this word is a suggestion of great intensity and physical rowdiness, with which this girl pushes cotton-wool into her ears, like so, until they are ringing; the long ‘aa’ is repeated in this sudden feeling of wide bubbles, in the quiet of the ear or the skull, which it wouldn’t have been if I’d used ‘ears’." [cite]


[02:00-04:50]

FDV: "But all that's left now to the last of the Meaghers I'm told it's a kneebuckle & two buttons in the front. Do you tell me that now? I do, in troth. Is that the Dunboyne statue behind you there riding his high horse? That! Throw the cobwebs from your eyes, woman, & spread your linen proper. What is at all but a blackberry growth"

FDV2: "But all that's left now to the last of the Meaghers I'm told it's a kneebuckle & two buttons in the front. Do you tell me that now? I do, in troth. Is that the Dunboyne on his statue behind you there riding his high horse? That! Throw the cobwebs from your eyes, woman, & spread your linen proper. What is but a blackberry growth or the grey mare ass them four old codgers own. Do you mean Tarpey & Lyons & Gregory? I do the four codgers themselves and old Johnny MacDougal along with"







mysteries:

[06:39-09:02]

I.8: 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216

No comments:

Post a Comment